Terms and Conditions
The following are eligible to be issued with the HM Forces Railcard -
1. All members of the Regular forces (including university, medical and dental cadets) wherever they are stationed.
Members of the Brigade of Gurkhas.
TA Non Regular Permanent Staff.
Reserve Forces personnel during periods of full time service of at least 3 months.
Commissioned Officers of the RAF Reserve carrying out full time duties in uniform in peacetime.
NATO personnel serving in official NATO UK appointments.
Other NATO posts based within the UK that are under the direct command of HQ NATO.
Members of other government defence forces serving in official exchange appointments.
Please note that members of the Reserve Forces, with the exception of Full Time Reserve Service and those detailed above are not eligible.
2. Wives and husbands of all personnel.
3. Dependant children of those above as follows –
Unmarried children (including legitimated, adopted and stepchildren) aged 16 and 17 years who are normally resident in the household.
A son or daughter over the age of 18 but under the age of 25 who is normally resident in the household and is in full time education.
A son or daughter of 18 years and over certified by a medical authority to be suffering from physical or mental infirmity who is normally resident in the household.
A son or daughter over 18 years of age who for compassionate reasons is acting as the serviceman's/woman’s housekeeper.
4. Widows/Widowers and their dependant children may retain the use of purchased HM Forces Railcards for the remainder of the valid period until the existing expiry date of the card. Thereafter, HM Forces Railcards can be obtained by war widows/widowers and their dependants, through the Royal British Legion. Applicants will need to be in receipt of a Forces Family pension.
Please note the HM Forces Railcard is not available to veterans.
For journeys made between 04:30 and 09:59 Monday to Friday, a minimum fare of £12 applies (except in July or August, or on public holidays). This applies to all Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets.
There are no minimum fares for all Advance tickets.
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
A minimum fare applies on adult Off-Peak Day Travelcards at all times (including July and August). The minimum fare is £5.60.
The minimum fare also applies to a discounted Zones 1-6 'Inboundary' Off-Peak Day Travelcard.
Note - Railcard discounts are not available on any other zonal combinations of Day Travelcards.
Anytime Day Travelcard
Railcard discounts are available on Anytime Day Travelcards from stations outside the London Fare Zones 1-9 area. These are subject to the normal rules applicable to the Railcard, but in addition an adult minimum fare also applies at all times (including July and August). The minimum fare is currently £15.80.
No discounts are available on Anytime Day Travelcards issued for journeys wholly within Zones 1-9.
Members of HM Forces or a spouse of a member may take up to 4 children aged between 5 and 15 years (incl) on the date of travel, for a discount of 81% off the adult fare when travelling in First or Standard class accommodation, subject to a £1 minimum fare.
ATOC Ltd enters into the contract for the issue and use of the HM Forces Railcard on behalf of the Train Companies. Reference to a 'Train Company' or the 'Train Companies' means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Railway Services in Great Britain. Any other licensed passenger train operators that may join the arrangement will accept the HM Forces Railcard for travel on their services.
1. You must sign your Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the Conditions listed here.
2. The Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given to or loaned to anyone else.
3. The Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
4. You must carry your Railcard with you and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard, otherwise the full fare will be payable as if no Railcard and/or no ticket were held.
5. The Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. If a railcard is lost or stolen the railcard holder should report this to their unit administrative staff. A replacement railcard can then be issued at the full price £15 to the railcard holder. The new replacement railcard will carry a validity period of 12 months. The new railcard to be issued in conjunction with the existing photocard. A replacement Railcard cannot be issued at a National Rail station.
6. The Railcard is issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Conditions listed here.
7. The Railcard can only be used for non-duty (leisure) travel only. Commuting between home and place of duty, work or education is not available.
1. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train. You must have your Railcard (and Photocard/Permit to travel without Photocard if applicable) with you on your journey and always show the valid Railcard and ticket to rail staff at their request. If you do not show both the Railcard and the ticket, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey. In some cases a penalty fare may be payable. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.
2. Minimum fares and time restrictions apply as detailed here.
3. In the case of some low price tickets the actual discount with a Railcard may be slightly lower than that advertised.
4. The right is reserved to revise these Conditions and availability of the tickets mentioned here. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months' notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
5. Tickets issued to the holder of the Railcard are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Conditions listed here. Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available from any staffed station ticket office or online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc/